Monday, October 6, 2008

Chapter 3: The Goon Squad.

Two interesting visits in as many days. Life was picking up its pace since Mylene Rivers came waltzing through that door. I couldn’t wait to make it back home and possibly get rid of this impossible hangover. Maybe a warm shower could help me unwind, and might even help me pick up my own speed to stick with the rate at which things were changing around me.

But it seems fate had a different idea for me.

The first thing I noticed once I reached my door was that it was open. I distinctly remember locking the door when I left home last night. My hand instinctively reached for my .6 Magnum safely strapped to my shoulder holster; my insurance policy in Dogtown. I cocked the gun and kicked open the door.

The apparent theft was the least of my worries. As soon I opened the door, the first face I saw was Sergey Tesla. At that moment I thought I was a dead man. The thought that Vadim himself would never have sent anyone to kill me; that wasn’t his style, never crossed my mind at that moment. If anyone was going to kill Vic Sullivan, it was going to be Vadim himself. He would never send a foot soldier like Sergey to kill an apparent high-profile target like me. Sergey was the Russian’s dirt-man, he did the dirty jobs, like extortion, kidnapping, shooting of knee-caps, all that stuff. He was ex-Russian army; there was story which said Sergey was court-martialed for torturing a POW by cutting his genitalia off while he was alive. In short, Sergey was not a welcome sight in anyone’s home, especially not this early in the day.

I tried to gather my thoughts as I heard 6 other guns being cocked. The first thought in my mind at this moment was that my gun only has 6 bullets, and I’m facing possibly 7 people who, probably, wish to kill me within the next few minutes. So in the best case scenario, I could probably kill off six people and hope that the last one goes into shock. Just as I was planning my escape route and my last will and testament at the same time, someone spoke up.

“Don’t think so much Vic; this isn’t what it looks like.” It was Sergey. “This is just a routine visit Vadim didn’t have the time for himself.”

“If it’s not what it looks like, then why am I staring down the barrel of your gun? And why on earth are 7 heavily armed men doing in my living room?” I have a knack of keeping calm under pressure, guess staring down gun-points most of your life, sort of leaves you with that talent.

“Well, Vadim was busy, and he wanted to see how his old friend was doing. He heard you were back in business, and he said he needed some help with a job.” News sure travels fast in Dogtown. “He asked me to give you a message, that if you are indeed back in business, he has need for someone with your particular skills. He told me to give you some cash up front to make sure you accept.” He threw down an envelope filled with cash. I could get used to the sight of these envelopes; I was seeing a lot of them these days. “That’s 50 grand.”

At least the Russian’s mistress pays better. “Tell Vadim, I’ll come by the mansion tomorrow and see what I can do.” By now I was longing for that shower, just waiting for Sergey and his band of merry men to leave.

“Let’s go boys; Vic has had a long night it seems.” I think Sergey picked up the cue, “Oh, and Vic, tell Silas not to worry about the money, The Russian says the last shipment covers the deal. He’ll know what I mean.”

“Yeah, I’ll do that, and you tell Vadim, next time he wants to send a message, use the phone, and tell him not to pull the goon squad for every little job.”

I waited till I heard their tires screech before I un-cocked my gun, there’s now way I was going to take a chance with someone like Sergey invading my home. The first thing to do was to check up if they took anything. Mainly if they discovered the other brown envelope, not unlike the one Sergey just handed me.

After a quick check I relaxed after realizing they didn’t go through the place. Probably must’ve got here a few minutes before me, didn’t get enough time was my guess. Whatever the situation, I was safe, for the moment, and the only thing I desperately needed was a long, warm shower.

I got to thinking about the events since Mylene had walked into my home. So far Silas and Mike had been right on one thing, the woman had meant a lot of trouble for 24 hours since meeting her; I had met with the strongmen of both the Mob and the Family, the Italians had invited me to breakfast and the Russians had invaded my home. And if that wasn’t enough I was hearing all this talk about some deal between my ex-partner and the Russians.

Something big was going down in Dogtown soon. I could sense it. And somehow I felt, that this time I would have to choose my sides. I ignored the other voice in my head saying everything involved Mylene.

No comments: